January 16, 2010

European Mountain Ash Tree



Oh such clever Central Oregonians! Thanks for the comments and the positive feed back. This will be fun. Yes- it's the European Mountain Ash. Sorbus aucuparia (SOR-bus aw-ku-PAH-ree-a) The OSU web site (see the link in the side bar) says that aucuparia comes from the Latin word aucupor 'to go bird catching'. It refers to a way to use a sticky gum-like substance to catch fowl. I know that I've seen a Mt. Ash tree that looked like it was decorated for Christmas it was so filled with blue Pinyon Jays and Cedar Waxwings munching on the berries.

2 comments:

chiocciolla said...

Love the idea. Can't wait to see what is next. Marsh

FootGaming said...

I love this. I have wanted to be able to identify the wonderful trees and flowers ever since I moved to Oregon 9 years ago. I think I only know juniper and Indian Paintbrush - but now I know Mountain Ash - great blog!